Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Smart phone...ok Smart phone user...not ok

For those of you that know me well, I prefer to have a cell
phone that rings, and sends messages.  Nothing more...

I have had to upgrade my current cell phone, it does not have the ability to "roam" when I travel outside of Albania.
Which leaves me without any phone when I travel to Kosova or ???

Ok, so I shopped around. I didn't want an expensive phone. (plus I rec'd a 30% discount!) This phone had good reviews, and was hailed as a good starter phone for teenagers.  (nothing was said about older missionary women who are technology challenged!)

I got my new phone yesterday. The owner's manual is of course...in Albanian. But wait, there is an English version on the internet. It is basically written with the assumption that the person reading the manual knows what all the terminology means.  What is the difference between an app and a widget...?

So far....I have installed the SIM card, charged the battery, all of my contacts transferred to the new phone, YEA...!!!, set the date and time, and it seems to be connected to my gmail, though I am not quite sure how that happened.

There are other features that would be nice to have...if I can figure out how to use them.  For example, it has a GPS app on it, but the map is for the US...that doesn't really help me much here. I am going to ask around to see if some of the younger missionaries, or missionary kids would be willing to give me a "tutorial" on how to use my new phone.   I am pretty sure that there are no "classes" at the Vodafone store.

I think if it rings...I know how to answer it.  Haven't tried a text message yet...maybe tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment