Friday, January 18, 2013

Traffic in Tirana~

 My first trip to Tirana was an adventure to say the least.  I was completely overwhelmed by  the traffic, and the fact that I was lost just about pushed me over the edge. Everyone was honking their horns at me. My friend that had provided the directions asked me where I was in relation to the canal.  What canal...?


I finally got to where I was supposed to be, and if I was a drinking person (which I am not) I would have had a shot of raki (moonshine on steroids)    
These photos only partially provide the full impact of driving here. This area is a huge roundabout, that is to assist with traffic flow, as you can see...it is flowing in many different directions. Add to the mix...the pedestrians crossing the street, where ever they can find a space. I always try to cross with a group...it increases your chances of crossing safely. Mandatory prison time is the penalty for hitting a pedestrian.

When I got home and looked at my photos, I discovered that I captured this man in a wheelchair, going the wrong way crossing the same road that was bumper to bumper a few minutes earlier.

I am learning to drive here...there is a rhythm. I am thankful for the fact that I have a small car...sometimes I can just squeeze between all the other cars.  I was stopped by the police one morning, 5:30am.  I had made an illegal left turn. I was following 3 other cars that made the same turn.  The police officer asked me where I was from, I told him I was American...he said please don't make this turn again. No ticket. The only way to get to my street where I live...is to make an illegal left hand turn with all the other cars.

Life in the Balkans...always an adventure....

No comments:

Post a Comment