Sunday, July 21, 2019

Where are you from?

I recently traveled to Macedonia, to get some rest and spend some time in much cooler weather. (Tirana was averaging 96 degrees, 50% humidity, lows of 80 at night)

Whenever I travel, I am asked..."Where are you from?"
(Single, older women do not travel alone in this part of the world)

This trip made me laugh several times...

  • One lady said I was "Italian" 
    • I told her I was from Albania, she continued to speak Italian to me...? 
  • The hotel owner where I was staying, said I was "German"
    • Well....I do have some German heritage on my dad's side of the family.
    • Here I am in Macedonia...and they speak German to me?
  • One server asked me if I was from "Poland"... 
    • The weather was cold, rainy, high of 60 and winds.
    • I was in a light t-shirt, capri pants, and sandals
    • Everyone else was in long pants, sweaters and coats!
  • One man asked me if I was from "Australia"
    • maybe because of the hat I was wearing?
~~~
I guess after 11 years of living in the Balkans, Kosova and Albania, I no longer look "American"...???  

But... when I tell people that I am "American"...they don't believe me. 

I am thankful that "hand gestures" and pointing work well for communication...! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment